PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla.–As the New York Mets reconvene for the first week of spring training, questions about second baseman, Neil Walker, continue to loom over the team’s middle infield–will Walker agree to a contract extension?
While Ed Coleman of CBS New York said “Walker [is] getting close to agreement on an extension [two years, plus an option],” Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the negotiations have been stalled and that they “are no closer to hammering out a contract extension.”
“Sources said contract talks have hit a snag,” Carig added. “While it’s still possible negotiations could heat up once more, a new deal as of Monday morning is not imminent.”
Walker accepted a one-year, $17.2 million qualifying offer from the Mets in Nov., and told MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo last week that “there’s potential for a long-term deal” to stay with the team.
Last season, the 31-year-old batted .282 with 23 home runs and 55 RBIs in 113 games.